The aims of teaching science at Thrumpton Primary School are consistent with our school philosophy and take account of the Nottinghamshire Curriculum Policy Document and the National Curriculum Non-Statutory Guidance for science.
The aims of science are:
· To enable children to develop their knowledge and understanding of the world they live in, through investigation of that world
· To have the opportunity to take control and to pursue their own questions through practical and meaningful investigations.
· To provide a science curriculum which is broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated
· To fulfil the requirements of the National Curriculum for science
· To ensure the progressive development of scientific concepts, knowledge, skills and attitudes
· Enable children to work scientifically in a range of appropriate contexts using a wide variety of materials and equipment
· To promote positive attitudes towards, and enthusiasm for, science work in school
· To encourage and empower children to be creative in themselves.